Soft Boiled Egg in Bread Crumbs Crust with Cheese
- 8 eggs
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) breadcrumbs
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) walnuts, finely chopped
- 60 ml (4 tbsp.) butter
- 250 ml (1 cup) mixed mushrooms (white, shiitake, oyster, porcini, etc.)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) poultry stock
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) 15% cooking cream
- 250 ml (1 cup) Brie or Camembert or similar cheese, rind removed, cut into cubes
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh spinach leaves
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 bottle (4 L or 8 cups) olive oil
Cook the eggs for 3 to 4 minutes in boiling water (i.e. soft-boiled, with the yolk still runny). Cool eggs in ice water and carefully remove the shells. Set aside.
In a bowl, mix flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.
In another bowl, beat the remaining eggs with a fork.
In a third bowl, mix panko breadcrumbs with walnuts. Set aside.
Coat each soft-boiled egg in flour, then the egg mixture, and then the breadcrumb mixture. Refrigerate on a plate until they are ready to be fried.
In a saucepan, melt 30 ml (2 tbsp.) of butter and brown the mushrooms and shallot until golden. Set a few mushrooms aside for the garnish. To the mushroom and shallot mixture add the poultry stock, the cream and the cheese, and let simmer approximately 20 minutes. Use an electric mixer to blend the preparation into a cream of mushrooms. Set aside, keep warm.
In a large frying pan, melt the remainder of the butter, and cook the spinach leaves and garlic for several minutes.
Just before serving, heat oil in the deep fryer to 350 °F (180 °C) and try the eggs for around 2 minutes, just until golden brown.
Divide the cream of mushrooms into soup plates and arrange a nest of spinach leaves. Place an egg in each and garnish with the mushrooms set aside.